A Curious Delight
By Meagan Hyland
Screen print, 8.25 inches x 16.5 inches
1. This work is … inspired by Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.
2. I made this work because … I was asked to take part in an exhibition to celebrate the opening of the film Alice Through the Looking Glass last May, focusing on the female empowerment that Alice represents. I also love to include typography where I can in my work, as I am an avid hand-letterer.
3. I hope when people see this work they will … appreciate all the little references to the original stories that I have included, and also enjoy the colours and craft of the screen print.
4. In terms of art history, this work … deals with pop culture, as does most of my work. I am influenced by what interests me, namely cinema, books, and music. In terms of style, I look more to graphic design than to any single art movement. For this piece, I looked at medicine bottles from the 19th century, as well as alcohol packaging.
5. You can see my work … at Hero Complex Gallery or Gallery 1988 in Los Angeles, California, or Spoke Art Gallery in New York. Online you can find my work at meaganhyland.com or through Behance, Instagram, or Twitter.
“Curios About …” is a series featuring works by Dublin artists. Each artist is asked to submit an image of one work and answer a set of questions about it. We’d love it if you’d submit something you’ve made, here.