Pen, ink and digital colour
1. This work is about . . . bold colours, clean, natural lines, and fanciful characters. My illustrations often feature over-the-top, dramatic-looking characters. I look to places like the circus, burlesque artists, and the glamour of drag queens for inspiration.
2. I made this work because . . . I am a design graduate but always wanted to be an artist, so I decided to chance my hand at illustration during my final year at CIT. Most of my illustrations are personal projects, undertaken with the aim of building my portfolio, improving my technical ability and gaining exposure in the industry.
3. I hope that when people see this work they will . . . I want my images to entertain people and not be taken too seriously, much like drag shows or burlesque. It’s all about having fun and being a little cheeky.
4. In terms of art history, this work . . . is defiantly contemporary illustration. I look to existing contemporary illustrators for inspiration, and old Victorian children’s-book illustrators.
5. You can see my work . . . on my website, which also includes links to my other media platforms: www.katedelaneyillustration.com.
Curios About is a series featuring works by Dublin artists, curated for us by our friends at the Square in the Circle blog, and hosted there as well as here.
Each artist is asked to submit an image of one work and answer a set of questions about it. We’d love it if you’d submit something you’ve made.