Seems Like You’re Found a Few Articles Worth Reading
If you want us to keep doing what we do, we’d love it if you’d consider subscribing. We’re a tiny operation, so every subscription really makes a difference.
The Girl with the Hoop Earring
By Kate O’Loughlin
CAD, felt, blind drawing
1. This work is about . . . the brief love affair I had with New York City. It’s about falling in love with strangers and appreciating beautiful people.
2. I made this work because . . . having lived in Brooklyn, New York, I’ve subconsciously kept this busy city and its population as my muse.
3. I hope when people see this work they will . . . Whilst riding the subway each day, I saw the people of New York in a confined space and found myself briefly falling in love with fellow passengers. This is a feeling that I want to keep alive through my drawings.
4. In terms of art history, this work . . . Is a modern take on an old classic. Although [Johannes] Vermeer’s oil painting, The Girl with the Pearl Earring, is innocent and posed, it is said that the earring she is wearing isn’t pearl and is in fact tin. Much like the earring in my drawing.
5. You can see my work . . . on my Instagram account @k8olo, at the Peachy Exhibition and also in NCAD textiles.
Curios About is a series featuring works by Dublin artists, curated for us by our friends at the Square in the Circle blog, and hosted there as well as here.
Each artist is asked to submit an image of one work and answer a set of questions about it. We’d love it if you’d submit something you’ve made.